Thursday, October 6, 2011

Changed my alternator and my car still wont charge.?

I changed the alternator on my 89 jeep cherokee with the 4.0L inline six but its still not charging the battery. I tested it by starting the engine and disconnecting the battery while it was runing and it just cuts off. Any ideas as to what could be causing this?
Changed my alternator and my car still wont charge.?
Voltage regulator, that which converts the AC current from the alternator to DC which the battery needs to charge. That is my guess.
Changed my alternator and my car still wont charge.?
check your voltage regulator. and clean your battery terminals. also, check your fuses.
This isn't the correct way to test an alternator. In fact there is a good chance you can damage the alternator while doing this.

The correct way to test it is with a Volt meter. Charging rate should be 13.8 VDC to 15 VDC.

If yo don't have a meter, find someone who does.

With the jeep it is possible that the battery temp sensor has failed.

At this point it would serve you to take it to a repair shop that displays the ASE shingle.



Good Luck and Merry Christmas
have the battery tested may be grounded or you may have a bad alternator i know you replaced it may still be a bad apple need a volt meter where the red wire conects to the battery test it there by positive and the negative to ground like the alternator housing if voltage is over 13.5 alternator is good then do the same test on the battery if testes over 13.5 replace battery