Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Problems since alternator changed?

had my alternator replaced about one month ago. unfortunately my mechanic on vacation now. battery replaced within last year. now battery indicator light goes in and out and when i come to a stop, on occasion, car will die, but immediately start up again. then this morning, car seems to choke (like it was going to die) several times, then ultimately died on freeway. i managed to coast to the side. car restarted immediately. was told this may be a battery issue? does my battery need recharging/?
Problems since alternator changed?
IThis is a hard question to tackle, I tend to think you may have an emissions related problem, or perhaps even something simple like an air intake clog. I think your battery light is coming on right before it dies right? could be from lack of charge due to insufficient rotational speed of the alternator. I think I understand what Alan W1 is saying, I have to disagree though. First, you have not mentioned what kind of car it is, if it is a modern car, you really do not want to by-pass the emissions controls by forcing the idle open, this will lead to more headaches down the road. if it is carbureted, this may be an ok fix. It can't hurt to charge the battery, although I don't think this is your problem, since you said it starts back up ok, and I believe it is charging, or you would deffinetly be running that battery down restarting it like you have been. Gotta be a driveablilty/emissions issue I think. At the very least, check the air filter.

Good luck
Problems since alternator changed?
You could probably do with having the tick-over rate increased. The adjustment screw is on the side of the carb, in the linkage from the acc pedal. Just turn it a little so your car ticks over ok with no throttle. Should be ok then and keep ticking over when you stop, (as long as the engine is warm enough, of course)

Hope this helps.
First verify the alternator is still firmly fastened ( the bolts havent come loose) and the belt is properly tensioned. The car started immediately so it seems to hold a charge in the battery so I would keep looking at the alternator. Double check all the wire connections to the alternator...
You might also want to check the Solenoid; when they go bad, they cause symptoms like you described.
I know that some Fords when you replace the alternator you also have to replace the connection plug (wire) to the alternator.

And yes. If he hasn't it will mess the battery up and do what you described. ( I think it's actually over charging it, that's bad too.)

But now that the new alternator destroyed your battery, you will want to get another one.

Get the plug fixed first.