Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Should I change out my alternator soon?

My 2000 Chevy Malibu LS has 134,000 miles on it and still has the original alternator. The car still runs almost like new. Should I replace the alternator soon as a precautionary measure, or wait until it goes out?
Should I change out my alternator soon?
I see no reason to replace it as general maintanance. I'd wait until it goes bad. My dads car is on the original alternator after 210,000 miles and 11 years, You should be fine.
Should I change out my alternator soon?
wait, it could never go bad
If it aint broke, don't fix it!
an alternator is not something that is usually replaced as a maintnence item. just becuase it has 134,000 miles on it does not mean that it is going to die. you may have another 100,000+ miles in it

there is no need to replace it at this time.
Wait, the one you put in may only last a year or so.
No need to change it If it is still working, an alternator can last out the life of your car. It a good idea to check the belts from time to time.
there is no reason to change it out. The Chevy engines are really good. I drive a 1994 Chevy and I still have the original alternator in it. So just let it be for now.
if it isn' broke don't fix it. i've got a '99 w/120,000 mi. still gets 30mpg. keep it maintained regularly - fluids, brakes, filters, wipers, tires, are usual wear items. batteries or wishy/washy.
No... wait till you have any problems.... dont fix if it isnt broken.
When it goes bad you will begin to notice dimming dashboard lights, and possibly headlights as well. The engine may drag slower suddenly when cranking to start.

When it really does quit it will drain your battery all the way down too. These are pretty sure signs of inevitable trouble.

You can have an alternator output test done by a reputable auto mechanic. It'll cost a few bucks possibly and may or may not answer your question.

Alternators are made so much better than they were years ago and last really long unless you do a LOT of night driving. Then you might consider getting it checked for output. I have an '89 Caprice that went 200,000 miles before the 1st alternator quit.
  • best for cleaning bed sheets
  • dvd movies case
  •