Thursday, October 6, 2011

I have replaced the alternator and battery twice in the last 2 months, will loose my power randomly?

it is a 00' Jeep Cherokee I6-4.0L. As I said I have replaced the above parts twice in the last two months. On the second try I have the voltage tested while the car was running and they said it was a faulty alternator, I changed it and no luck. I took a short road trip and the car lost power continuously on the drive there. Then it would not start, battery is still good, please help lost on solutions???
I have replaced the alternator and battery twice in the last 2 months, will loose my power randomly?
if you have a good alternator and battery and its not charging check the fuse! iam not to sure but it might be inline with the positive wire.

make a volatge drop test from the positive post of battery to the postive of alt. , how is the alternator grounded? by wire or case?



check the power and see if there any dirt on the connections



good luck
I have replaced the alternator and battery twice in the last 2 months, will loose my power randomly?
Could be one or both of your battery cables.
what kind of batt terminals do you have? are they the kind that you tighten two bolts that crushes the cable? those are garbage.
MD I don't know which nes you are refering to, the side terminal pancaked donut shaped 1s or what?



Eitherway i think he should make sure hes grounded, see were the blk/neg goes and make surethats solid. then make sure your positive cable is not damaged. make sure the wires coming out of the alt are on there tight and are not torn up. follow the wiresfrom the alt completely, put an interim wire in its place to see how hat charges your batter and monitor that with an ohmmeter. and check yoiur fuse as well. And also do you know if when you started the car it started off of pure battery charge or ifthe alt was doing anything at all sporadically? it seems like its kinda half doing it so the wires are probally damaged.